Wednesday, May 2, 2012

27 Weeks

I had my appointment today to check for gestational diabetes.  This is done in every pregnancy typically between 24 and 28 weeks.  I was given a really sugary drink (I had an choice between red and orange and chose orange) which tasted like flat Sunkist soda.  It took me 6 minutes to "down" because halfway through I thought it may come back up.  I was told to have it really cold so I left it in the freezer for about an hour (after getting it out of the refrigerator).  Cold was probably better than warm but it was still pretty gross.  I had my blood drawn one hour after finishing the drink and I will find out in a week or so if I may have gestational diabetes.  If my sugar levels are elevated I'll have to go in for a 3 hour test.  Fun.
Chase accompanied me to the doctor's visit today and helped keep my mind off my queasy belly.  
Hmm what else?  Oh yes-  I asked my OB and she told me technically NEXT week I'll be in my 3rd trimester.  So close!   She also gave me warnings about pre-term labor (signs and symptoms) and I will be going to see her every 2 weeks now instead of monthly.  Wow.  Time sure is going by fast.
We got to hear Sprout's heart beat and the doctor was able to find it without even trying.  It was nice and strong and around 145-147 beats per minute (at least that's what Chase said- he was looking over the doctor's shoulder at the doppler).
Here's me at 27 weeks.
I look a little dazed here.  I think I'm worried about drinking the "orange stuff"


Kaiser is giving me a high five for making it to 27 weeks!
Here's Sprout's update at 27 weeks:  Baby Hogan is still considered an "eggplant"
This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds  and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his/ her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on.  (from babycenter.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment