Wednesday, January 18, 2012

12 weeks

Well it's Wednesday so we get to move ahead another week in the pregnancy.  11 down 29 to go!
Here's what's going on with baby Sprout this week:
The baby continues to grow and develop rapidly in the 12th week of pregnancy. The baby’s brain starts making hormones and the nerve cells of the baby also multiply extremely fast now. The baby will be sucking and swallowing food and the kidneys will be producing urine as well. The baby continues growing in length and size now. Muscles start responding to the brain which is not as mature yet to control things totally. The simultaneous development of the muscles and the brain bring about natural movements in the baby’s body such as bending arms, twisting wrists and elbows and clenching and opening fists. The features of the face can be traced with the pinching of the eyebrows or pursing of the lips. The placenta functions effectively and the umbilical cord begins to help in circulation of blood.


 Baby Sprout is about the size of a large plum now- 
I'm feeling a little more energetic but not quite back to my typical self.  I sleep 10 hours a night (getting up twice to pee) and still wake up wanting more sleep.  Supposedly the 2nd trimester is much better energy wise ( I think I said that before).  My allergies are also KILLING me which can make me tired.  At this point last year I would have gotten a steroid shot to get them under control but unfortunately steroids are a class C in pregnancy (don't do if you can help it) so I'm trying to get by with just an every other day Claritin. Work is busy as it is cold and flu season- so we're seeing a booked schedule right now.  That adds to the fatigue too.  Everything's against me!  I've most certainly got to start my nightly dog walking again.  Maybe that will help.

Because I've been sooooo sleepy- this morning I went to Starbucks to get a decaf Carmel Brulee Latte. Decaf coffee still has about 5mg of caffeine which is more than what I've been getting with my Sprite Zeros.   Well- instead of "grande" like I ordered I got a Venti and it wasn't decaf.  I had about a 1/4 of it then started feeling weird and shaky so I gave the rest away.  It's the first real caffeine I've had in month so even that small amount had me a bit wired.  Of course I panicked and had to google safe amounts of caffeine in pregnancy.  I'll be fine and so will Sprout.  But I think I will continue the decaffeinated lifestyle post-pregnancy as well.

We've done nothing further with the nursery, though I have started looking a cribs. 
Our next doctor's appointment is February 8th. So in the meantime I'll just keep taking vitamins, drinking an unbelievable amount of water, and trying to eat healthy so Sprout can have the best home I can provide!

No comments:

Post a Comment