Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Pepperoni Rolls

Last weekend I baby sat for my sister.   I figured why not try out a recipe that looks super kid friendly.  The rolls ended up being easy to make and the girls even got to help!  I got the recipe for the pepperoni rolls from whataboutpie.  (I pinned it on Pintrest).
First you take frozen bread rolls.  The website recommended Rhodes brand and that's all Wal-Mart had so I went with it.
The kids were excited to help!  
I let the dough defrost all day.  I had to work- so even though the original only let it sit for a few hours- mine sat for 10.  The dough was ENORMOUS!  Chase so eloquently said "it looks like a butt".  The kids loved that.
Next you roll it out.  I tried it on a cutting board then decided it needed to be bigger so I tossed some flour on the counter top (helps it not stick) and rolled away.  I used some olive oil on the rolling pin because the dough stuck to it.   Once it's rolled out (larger than 11 x11) you smother some olive oil over the surface (I just used my hands) then you decorate it.
The youngest ate more cheese and pepperoni than she put down, but hey, it's all in good fun.

We added mozzarella cheese, shredded cheddar, and Parmesan over pepperonis (just the kind you can buy to snack on) and we had some salami we stuck on there too.  Next you sprinkle some Italian seasoning and garlic powder.  
Then you roll it up!  You melt some butter and rub that on the top before you cook it so it browns nicely.  You place it in the oven at 375 degrees and cook for about 25 minutes.  The dough should sound hollow when you thump it.  Our first one (we made 2) was cooked on the outside but doughy in the middle so we had to stick it back in.  I don't think the dough was rolled out thin enough.  The second one was fine in the 25 minutes.  


This is what it looked like cooked.

Then we cut it into strips and ate it!  We used Ranch and Marinara as "dipping sauces".  This was definitely one to make again.  I talked so much about it a co-worker made some too!  Success with her kids as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment